WHAT IS A COVID ANTIGEN TEST?
It is a nose swab antigen test to check for a current COVID-19 (coronavirus) infection. The pharmacist will take a swab from each nostril. If your test is negative, you will be emailed an EU Digital Covid Certificate in less than an hour which you can upload to your phone (Covid Tracker App or similar).
Antigen tests are not as accurate as a PCR test and are designed to detect the virus at levels that are more likely to mean you’re infectious and could spread the infection to others.
WHO IS THE TEST SUITABLE FOR?
The test is suitable for children 8 years and older. It is not suitable for anyone
- with symptoms of Covid-19
- who thinks they may have Covid-19
- who may be a close contact of someone with Covid-19
- who recently arrived in Ireland from somewhere where the advice is to self-isolate
TRAVEL AND EU DIGITAL COVID CERTIFICATE
If you get a negative test you will receive an email with your EU Digital Covid Certificate. If you require this test for international travel please ensure you are familiar with the current requirements of the country you are entering. While some countries accept the results of rapid antigen tests (RATs) if taken less than 48 before arrival, others do not. It is your responsibility to book the test you require for your circumstances. Please be aware that the age requirement for testing of children also varies by country.
You will need to bring photo ID e.g. passport, driver’s licence or public services card to confirm identity.
Check the DFA website regularly for the latest travel information. For EU travel, the Re-Open EU (website and App) is a great resource.
The cost of the test is €39 per person.
- Although the test has high sensitivity and specificity, it’s not 100 percent accurate and may give false-positive or false-negative results.
- If you test positive, this means that the COVID-19 virus was identified at the time of testing and you will be recommended to get a PCR test by the HSE.
- If you test negative, the result of your test will be submitted to the OGCIO for the purposes of producing an EU certificate. A negative result means that the COVID-19 virus was not identified in at the time of testing. It does not mean that you haven’t had COVID-19 or that you won’t develop the infection in the future.
- Moyderwell pharmacy will not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you suffer or incur as a result of receiving a positive test result (including if you’re unable to travel abroad as a result of testing positive).
- Service is subject to appointment, specially trained staff and stock availability.