- Side Effects
- Product Reviews
Galfer Oral Suspension contains ferrous fumarate which is used to replace low levels of iron in the blood. It is used to treat and prevent anaemia caused by iron deficiency.
Product Volume: 140mg/5ml
How to Use
- Take this medicine before meals on an empty stomach if possible. If Galfer Oral Suspension upsets your stomach, take it with or after food.
- Some foods such as tea, eggs and milk may reduce the amount of iron absorbed by the body. Check with the doctor or pharmacist about which foods to avoid.
- Galfer Oral Suspension may make your stools darker than usual. This is a normal effect of medicines containing iron.
- If your symptoms have not started to improve after 28 days, you should ask your doctor for advice.
Take this medicine by mouth. SHAKE THE BOTTLE WELL BEFORE USE. Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
- To prevent iron deficiency take two 5ml spoonfuls once a day.
- To treat iron deficiency take two 5ml spoonfuls twice a day.
Do not take this medicine if you or your child have
- An allergy to any of the ingredients such as Ferrous fumarate 140mg (equivalent to 45mg of elemental iron, aluminium magnesium silicate, sodium methyl hydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium ethyl hydroxybenzoate (E215), sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate (E217), citric acid (E330), liquid maltitol (E965), chocolate and peppermint flavours and purified water.
- Other problems with iron in the blood (including conditions that lead to iron building up in soft tissues, or problems with red blood cells).
- A stomach ulcer or other stomach or bowel problem.
- Had repeated blood transfusions in the past.
- Anaemia not related to low levels of iron.
- Or are currently having iron injections
Like all medicines, Galfer Oral Suspension can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Important side effects:
If you think you have any of the following side effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine immediately and see a doctor as soon as possible.
- Allergic reactions which cause difficulty in breathing, fever, swelling of the mouth, lips or skin, severe rashes, itching or stomach pain.
Other possible side effects:
- Feeling sick.
- Darkening of the stools.
Contains:The active ingredient per 5ml is: ferrous fumarate 140mg (equivalent to 45mg of elemental iron).